[casual_games] Salutations. Seeking Recommendation for an Android/iPhone Game Development Platform for a Multiplayer Card Game...

Jeff Murray jeff at psychicparrotgames.com
Thu Aug 4 21:33:16 EDT 2011

We've used Torque for no less than four shipped titles and the last time I used Torque 2d / Game Builder it was actually a good engine, albeit a bit buggy.

I would say that Torque 2d is a good solution, but sadly there's no Android version so it wouldn't do for your project anyway!

All the engines have their faults, flaws and users who feel they have been screwed by them. When you've got your shortlist down, spend an hour or two in each engine's forum and seek out some of the complaining from angry, bitter customers - if you don't find any, that's probably a bad sign - if you find lots, that's probably a bad sign too ... but if you find a few and they read like trolls, you may be in the right place! ;)

Jeff.

On 2011-08-04, at 8:45 PM, Darold 鉄雄 Davis wrote:

> I saw their 2D engine and thought it might be an option.Thanks for that heads up on Torque.

> I'm Currently using Unity 3.4 (for a Game Design class) and really love it

> More than likely I will continue to use Unity3D even after this course.

> 2011/8/4 Andrew Lum <andrew at fugazo.com>

> I do NOT recommend using any Torque products. We used their Wii engine for about a month, hated it and then switched to Unity3D. Of course we weren't reimbursed for the hefty license fee for a product we never used.

> Andrew Lum

> On 8/4/2011 3:05 PM, Darold 鉄雄 Davis wrote:

>> Torque 2D

>> http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d

>> Cross Platform, Dual Graphics API

>> Torque products are built on a common architecture, but optimized per platform and Torque 2D supports a wider range of platforms than any other modern game engine technology. Build and deploy to PC, Mac, Wii*, and Xbox 360* all from the same project. You can even take the project to the iPhone* with some simple modifications for the hardware. *Requires a separate license

>> Level Editor

>> Torque 2D's Level Editor provides an entire suite of WYSIWYG tools for designing and editing a game. The Level Editor is fully integrated with the Torque runtime and provides full access to all Torque subsystems allowing for:

>> Object placement and manipulation

>> Property inspection and editing

>> Importing and managing assets

>> Performance profiling

>> No compile time

>> Particle effects

>> Tile manipulation

>> Behavior assignment

>> 2011/8/4 oscar is oscar <oscar.oscar.oscar at gmail.com>

>> I'm seeking out tech to make a card game for a client.

>> Caveats:

>> Game will be multiplayer, online and local (people whipping out their

>> mobiles and playing together).

>> Game will also have a single player mode (human vs. AI)

>> I am considering Flash (people seem to appreciate its new ability to

>> output to iOS), Unity3d, and a few other options, but I would REALLY

>> appreciate the learned wisdom of you guys out there.

>> Any engines/development environments out there I should be considering?

>> Obliged,

>> Oscar Aird

>> Archive: http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>> Archive Search: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8

> [...]