[game_edu] suggestions for readings?

Kim Gregson kimatiu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 23:02:17 EST 2008

Thanks for the recommendations. And the warning about fun being a huge topic
- that's kind of why i picked it - partly because I want to see what they
come up with but also to show them that we can't bundle understanding and
knowledge of all topics into nice little 15 week bundles. Hopefully they'll
rise to the challenge, and we will keep it focused on the game angle to give
them a little structure.

We are building up a board and card game collection that we use in our
videogame design classes. It will be easy to bring those games into the
senior seminar as well - we have about 15 games including Carcassone,
Ticket to Ride, and Colossal Arena. we're also building up a library of
videogame hardware and software (a variety of genres) so hopefully we can
make use of those too.

I think _A theory of fun_ is available thru an ebook database our library
purchased. Otherwise - we'll have to talk about it and look at some of the
comics using the overhead projector.

I like the Flow book and we will porbably read parts of it - he has an
interesting method of gathering data.