[game_edu] suggestions for readings?

Jesse Schell jschell at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 9 23:52:06 EST 2008

Of course I'm going to plug my book and game design cards:
http://www.artofgamedesign.com

:)

But also, I think a lot of Steve Swink's new book: "Game Feel", and the 2nd
edition of Tracy Fullerton's "Game Design Workshop"

and I'll second others that Greg Costikyan's "I have no words... " is a
great way to get students thinking.

I also like to have them read chapter 2 of "Understanding Comics" by Scott
McCloud, and discuss how it relates to videogames.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Kim Gregson <kimatiu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,

> I"m putting together a seminar (for senior undergrad students) called "Fun

> and Games" for the spring semester - I want us to study the concept of "fun"

> and apply it to videogames. Here's my blog post with initial ideas -

> http://profkim.blogspot.com/2008/11/ideas-for-fun-games-senior-seminar.html

> What I'm looking for is suggestions of readings - I think we're going to

> read Raph Koster's _A theory of fun for game design_ but would like some

> other things to consider. Any ideas?

> And we hope to involve other folks in our conversations - with online

> discussions and video responses to some of our basic questions. If you would

> like to be involved (or your class), let me know and I"ll be sure to send

> you a formal invite after the holidays.

> Thanks...Kim Gregson (Ithaca College)

-Jesse Schell
Asst. Prof. of Entertainment Technology, Carnegie Mellon University (
www.etc.cmu.edu)
CEO, Schell Games (www.schellgames.com)
Design Director, Sim Ops Studios (www.simopsstudios.com)
Phone: (412) 303-0885