[games_access] Semi-OT...

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:11:13 EDT 2006

One of my goals someday is to make a game that features at least one
character that speaks only in American Sign Language. With animation
blending and procedural animation I think a game could possibly have
all characters speak in a sign language, rather than use audio or text
like Rich suggests. The animator will still be able to make specific
animations, like pointing or shaking a fist, but those animations
become the expressions to supplement the sign language. Sign language,
with the right person can be beautiful and very emotive to watch. A
character shouldn't feel any less communicative if they are signing
instead of speaking out loud and gesturing.

Thanks for sending those links about the virtual sign language
projects. I think they'll come in handy one day when I do try to make
the game that features a character that speaks in sign language. It's
not something an animator will want to animate every time the
character speaks. It would be the equivalent of an animator working on
the mouth movements every time a character speaks. Not fun I imagine!

-Reid