[games_access] sign language characters? Reid, Richard, Anyone

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Thu Apr 13 16:53:21 EDT 2006

>> "There are many many forms of sign language. Native
>> americans have their own, different countries in Europe
>> have their own, and different parts of Asia have their
>> own. They are like dialects I think. They all use the
>> same grammatical rules (I believe) but the hand shapes
>> and motions might be very different for the same word.
>> Facial expressions play a HUGE part in sign language.
>> Even in spoken dialog, facial expressions play a big
>> part. Body language is a universal language and facial
>> expressions are included in that."
>
> On this theme, you might be suprised, Robert, that ASL
> (American Sign Language) and BSL (British Sign Language)
> are quite different. In fact something as simple as the
> alphabet are totally different (ASL uses one hand, BSL
> uses two hands).

Hmm...didn't know that BSL did the alphabet with two hands.

In addition, back on this side of the pond, we have not only
ASL, but SEE (Signed-Exact-English).  SEE is a
transliteration of spoken/written English into an exact sign
representation.  I don't know if SEE has wandered outside
the US.

ASL stands on its own as a unique language, with a unique
grammer.  Time markers usually come first to orient the
conversation/sentence; as mentioned previously, facial
expressions (and general body posture) can heavily influence
the meaning of the signing; pronouns can have more exact
representations...all sorts of great stuff.  I've only
learned a little ASL...probably just enough to get myself in
trouble.

Both are a beautiful way to communicate...I wish my wife
would learn with me to chat innocuously without evesdroppers :)

I enjoy when they occasionally provide ASL signing in our
church service (and a local story-telling festival provided
sign interpretation for all the stories during the three-day
event...fabulous!)

-tim