personality. Accessibility idle [games_access] GDC news

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 16 13:15:34 EDT 2006

Well, the main thing is that this session is to create some buzz
about accessibility amongst those who want to BE, as Reid says, Will
Wright. We didn't get the one day tutorial session this year, which
is the session where we teach about accessibility. So we AREN'T
presenting at this conference in a traditional manner -- the idol
session is not a SIG presentation but a SIG sponsored contest. That
doesn't mean we can't include "teaching points" but there will be no
30 minute talk on how to create an accessible game. Hopefully the
buzz from this session will be enough that it WILL get more people
interested in accessibility and maybe for GDC 2008 we'll get the
tutorial sessions back.

So this session is more "reality show" based rather than "us"
presenting -- that doesn't mean that we can't include information to
the audience on how the game designs presented could be improved
upon, missed the mark, etc.

To make things LESS confusing for the participants (and the
audience), ONE disability area is going to be chosen and this year
"games for the blind" seems to be the theme that the designers and I
have landed on. The reason for this is because if we say "create an
accessible game" and leave it open -- one could create one for the
blind while another for those with mobility impairments. So then you
have an apples to oranges contest and that's harder to lead the
audience to a vote about (ie, "well, this game is 78% accessible for
those who are blind, 30% accessible for those who are
quadriplegic..."). It will also result in focusing in on one user
group and doing it well and then seeing the range of possibilities
that they come up with. Then next year the challenge is for a
different disability group. That will also allow us to extend the
life of the "idol" sessions for future GDCs and once this has been
done a few times then we can do a session on the ULTIMATE
accessibility idol where they are judged on more than one area).

Sorry if any of this is confusing right now -- students return to our
campus this week so my life is pretty upside down. I can explain Idol
better later but those are a few of my thoughts just reading through
the thread on the list.

And Robert -- I already asked David Perry and he can't participate
this year but is interested in participating in the 2008 idol. :)

Michelle