[games_access] Retro Remakes 2006 draws to a close...

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Thu Aug 31 12:30:34 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Tonight (UK time) is the close of the Retro Remakes 2006 competition (www.retroremakes.co.uk). This PC game programming competition featured game accessibility in the judging criteria.

Just over 60 games have been uploaded at this time, with more due. The judges will have their work cut out reviewing them all fairly, so winners won't be announced for a couple of months or so.

Thus far, I have played a few lovely head tracker compatible games, with great features that we'll be able to point people to in the future. There's also a small number of very nice one switch games. Audio games have not made any appearances so far, so I hope the DonationCoder compo will turn more up there. No sign of the game with "Action Captions" yet - but I remain hopeful.

It was heartening to see developers adding a few extra accessibility features right at the end of the competition, with such speed and ease (as it seemed to me). There's really no excuse for mainstream developers for some of these basic accessibility features, after seeing what people have managed in 3 months, often as sole coders.

Not everyone has quite got the point, as you will see, but I think there has been a lot learnt all round - especially by myself. I'll keep you all posted...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk