[games_access] to Michelle [SPAM]Re: NPR show on accessibility tomorrow

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 28 11:35:17 EST 2006

hi robert,

here's the link to the npr story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6669943

it's about games for the blind -- the "left behind" story is actually
about a series of games based on the christian book series called
"left behind."

yes, i think i've said this a couple times but meeting at your hotel
for planning for accessibility idol will be fine and it sounds fun
too! :)

and yes, i am working on the guidelines and we will have a meeting
next week -- i'm travelling this week. really the main thing that the
contestants need to know and already know is that their designs have
to be fun and playable and designed assuming a gamer who is
quadriplegic will be in the market share. they won't create games --
they don't do that in the other game challenges either because they
are busy people. but they will be presenting their design documents
at the session. and we don't want to tell them too much because (1)
we want them to make errors and (2) we don't want to stifle their
creativity, as they may come up with a fantastic design that's beyond
what any of us have come up with!

yes, david perry probably won't be at GDC this year -- that's why he
couldn't be on the accessibility idol team. but he wants to be on it
next year.

the gdc has not yet given us the times and dates for the sessions so
i can't give you any idea about when/where to pass out fliers. also,
i will be announcing the other sessions in every session -- very,
very briefly but just to let them know. we'll have your documentary
playing in the background of the SIG meet and greet session. but it
hasn't been scheduled yet so thus we have no way of knowing when it
will be held. there's nothing to be done about that -- they have a
lot of sessions to fit into the schedule. keep in mind that we can
show the documentary during the meet and greet informal session but i
am contractually obligated to keep things focused on getting people
information about the SIG. so we'll run the documentary but it will
be in an open area where people might just stop by really quickly to
get info about us but not have time to stay.

michelle