[games_access] Complaint regarding Florian Eckhardt

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Fri Jun 2 16:04:30 EDT 2006

Dear Brian and Alice,

I have transcribed a recent post on Kotaku.com below, which I find grossly offensive. I'd appreciate it if you would read it through.

  http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/remakes/retro-remakes-big-2006-retro-remaking-contest-177926.php

  Retro Remakes Big 2006 Retro Remaking Contest

  Retro Remakes is sponsoring a huge honking contest to create the best remake of a classic video game. There's £3692 worth of prizes to be won for "Good remakes of good games that anyone can play, regardless of their ability."

  We're puzzled by that last qualification: certainly, developing a game for people with, say, amniotic banding syndrome in mind is a rather large requirement to win a copy of a 2D scroller programming book. We assume, then, that what they really mean is "Good remakes of good games that even the stupid and incompetent can play." A lofty, if perhaps equally out of reach, goal.

  So if you're a dev who has just always wanted to give birth to a Frogger clone but never could justify the time, head on over and check it out. The prizes look quite good and the world could always use some more retro clones. FLORIAN ECKHARDT

  Retro Remakes: The Big 2006 Compo [Retro Remakes]

I find his manner nasty in the extreme. Do you allow extreme racist, homophobic or sexist comments on Kotaku too? If not, please explain to me the difference. Are disabled people a softer target, and therefore fair game?

Sincerely,

Barrie Ellis

www.OneSwitch.org.uk and www.igda.org/accessibility