[games_access] Complaint regarding Florian Eckhardt

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 16:12:03 EDT 2006

Tim, I like the concept. At first, the presenter could really hype up
the fictional "game". Say it's a game from some foreign country that
has existed for thousands of years and is extremely fun to play it,
like "Go" but better. Everyone that has learned the new game always
teaches it to their friends. This should build up anticipation and
hype from the audience to really want to play the game. Then the
presenter does his elimination bit, continually going until a handful
are left standing and then says what Tim Chase wrote above, that only
those standing can play. *pause for a minute while looking at the
audience* "How does that make you feel? That there's this great game
I'm about to teach some people to play, and yet you can't? Those of
you standing, how does that make you feel that most of this audience
can't play the game I'm about to teach? That is what it's like for
many disabled people and their friends when they hear about the newest
blockbuster games and can't play them because they lacked
accessibility features."

A good analogy to help people relate to the feeling of being left out
might be to ask if there was ever a game they really wanted to play
but it was only released on one system, the system they didn't have.
Like a PS2 exclusive game or they were a MAC user and couldn't play
the hottest PC game.

-Reid