[games_access] Retro Remakes 2006 Q&As: "Action Captioning"

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 14:46:31 EDT 2006

Boring huh? There's a reason captions are "boring". Visual words are
not "historically much better". Granted I'm assuming here, but I
imagine the "ActionCaptions" will feature words like BOOM that have an
iconic graphic of an explosion surrounding the letters. For visual
accessibility, this is not ideal as it can make reading the word more
difficult. It's also more of a challenge to fit those larger captions
on the screen. Another option is to place them in the 3D environment.
Actually attaching the visual captions to the sound origin. The game
VIII (Thirteen) is a good example. Enemy footsteps would create a
"TAP" caption that was positioned at their feet. One problem with this
is having captions overlapping each other because they are positioned
in a 3D world. Or perhaps the enemy is behind you, you won't see their
captions and miss out on the important info.

Having said that, I do want to see what Rogue comes up with.

-Reid