[games_access] ANOTHER game accessibility competition!

AudioGames richard at audiogames.net
Sun May 14 06:55:00 EDT 2006

ANOTHER game accessibility competition!Hi Michelle and list,

Isn't the difference that the RetroRemake competition is about making retro-style games and that (to quote Barrie) "... part of the judging criteria will involve an Accessibility Angle", whereas the Donation Coder competition is really a competition about specifically aimed at accessible game design? So although RetroRemake submissions are likely to contain many single switch games very accessible for gamers with a learning or a motoric disability, I expect no games that are accessible for the blind (since blind games are not 'retro'). Whereas I do expect all sorts of accessible games in the Donation Coder competition ;)

So maybe it's better to announce the Donation Coder competition as "*The* Accessible Games Competition" ;P

Anyway, here are my first comments/suggestions:

- GREAT IDEA! (although I already knew about it, still think so... :)
- The title "The DonationCoder.com Accessibility Game Coding Contest" seems a bit weird, due to the "Accessibility Game Coding" ... isn't it "Accessible Game(s)" (Design/Coding) or "Game Accessibility"?
- Is it possible to have the GameAccessibility.com logo on the website as a partner? And is it possible for AudioGames.net to be a partner for the audio games category?
- I like the idea very much of having Accessible Game Categories within the competition, such as "audio games" (which really is the established term for games with only auditory output ;) and "single/one switch games". I expect you did consider other categories as well? Is it possible to have another category? I know the difficulty in this, since audio games and single switch games are really unique types of games with high accessibility for gamers with certain disabilities, and there are no unique games for gamers with an auditory handicap (as far as I know), and game accessibility mostly concerns 'regular games with added functionality' (to be a bit bold). What are your thoughts on this?
- The link "Accessible Games List" is really a list of "Blind Accessible Games". Maybe this difference could be noted for newbies? And could AudioGames.net (which (shamelessly*) is the biggest website on audio games out there ;) also have a link here?
- Where can I view judging criterea for the audio games? Who does the judging (are the blind involved themselves as well)? And might there be a role for AudioGames.net as well?
- Thanks for putting up the Game-Accessibility.com link! Is it possible to change the description "Forum and Articles" into "Resource and Community website about game accessibility"?
- Does the competition have a logo of some sort that I can put on Game-Accessibility.com and on AudioGames.net? And some small press-release-type article with all necessary information in a glimpse that I can spread?
- Are we (SIG Members, etc) allowed to enter as well? Still have some audio game and single switch game prototypes lying around ;)
- Great idea!

Greets,

Richard

* what was it again about arrogance and Holland.. ;)