[games_access] URGENT: WCAG2 and people with learning disabilities

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Sat May 27 17:18:53 EDT 2006

Hi,

*quote*
> Anyway, my point was simply that I don't want us to get to the point where
> we don't have a "top ways to start out with game accessibility" but that
> we have to make it clear that our "get started" document emphasizes the
> understanding that JUST doing the "top ways" is better than not doing
> anything at all but that they *are* just the first steps and that if you
> really want to get serious then here are the details.
*quote end*

Yeah, we agree!

Actually, I think two things about game accessibility. First I think it's
great that instead of trying to limit ourselves by defining what game
accessibility is and defining all the things that make games FULLY
ACCESSIBLE (in capitals, yes ;), we are (first) looking at what things would
make games MORE ACCESSIBLE! This is not only more useful, but I also think
it is very clever, since it doesn't immediately takes the point of view that
"ALL games CAN be made accessible FOR ALL". I personally believe game
accessibility is much more difficult than web accessibility, since web
accessibility doesn't cover 'user experience' and I think game accessibility
should cover that since games are about experience (without it, it's just
"interactive information" or someshit similar ;) ).
I also think this approach is much more kind to the game industry, in the
case an industry which is even more likely to develop its own accessibility
standards...

Greets,

Richard