[games_access] Research Game Accessibility

Thomas Christopher Roome thomas.roome at student.utdallas.edu
Wed May 31 22:20:06 EDT 2006

Let me introduced myself, I am Thomas Roome a graduate student at the
University of Texas at Dallas.  In 1995, I received my master?s in
Rehabilitation Counseling, but I  never was able to find employment in
the field.  To cut a long story short I am back in college wanting to
focus on game Accessibility for the disabled.  I have Cerebral Palsy
and only can work a keyboard with my left foot and I do as much as I
can with my foot.  Have anyone on this list ever try to work a regular
Xbox controller with your foot?  It is very difficult to play a game
like Doom 3 or another game like it.  I have seen information about
one-switch systems, but don?t know if these systems could interact with
the mainstream games?

The University of Texas at Dallas has a program in Arts and Technology,
and game development is one of many things that the students can learn.
 I am trying to convince the university that research needs to be done
in Game Accessibility and begin to teach game accessibility to students
in the game development track.  First, I need to know what type of
research have been done in game accessibility?  I don?t want to work on
problems that have been solve along time ago.  Second, what are the
major problems adapting  the mainstream game for people with Mobility
Disabilities?  Eventually, I want to apply for a grant and really try
making games more accessible for everyone.

Thank you for your time!