Florio's speech [games_access] Future Play Poster 2006 and Top 10 List

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Thu Sep 7 17:45:56 EDT 2006

> Anyone else can include their thoughts but I'm not too sure about the HTML
>
> 3. Provide documentation in an accessible format such as HTML or plain
> text
>
> If I was to explain that point of a top 10 list of accessible features
> what
> does this mean exactly for consoles or is it just for PC use can it be a
> feature on any handheld as well maybe just a little example of what
> documentation examples actually mean?  Thanks.

Increasingly, web-access is the way to get hold of information. Thus if your
game instructions can be found on-line (as with the very lovely one-switch
game "Alice Amazed" here: http://www.michi.nu/games/alice/index.php) -
chances are that disabled gamers will have a better chance of accessing
them. People requiring screen magnification, speech readers, increased text
size etc. will find instructions in HTML format easier to cope with than the
printed word in many instances. Of course web-access comes into play here
too...

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/testing-web-accessibility.shtml -
Fairly simple pointers for designing accessible web-pages.

Hope this rambling answer clears this up a bit...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk