[games_access] Second life, Web2.0 and AJAX

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:24:45 EDT 2007

Hi Reid,

On 8/21/07, Reid Kimball <reid at rbkdesign.com> wrote:

> 3D would make the web much less accessible and has been tried in the
> past with online virtual worlds, remember VRML?

Only blind people would not be able to "see" 3d but they cannot see 2D
either, but it is possible to put a 2D text or audio interface on top of a
3d environment (like what i'm doing with 2ndlife now) that gives a similar
experience. For other disabilities, moving a character around in 3d is
easier and more intuitive than lets say navigating a webpage. Try navigating
a webpage using voice. ;-) (i know its not that comparable).

There are other advantages to having a 3d environment where you can meet
real life avatars, it is much more interactive than static webpages. You can
interact with people. I see that as some sort of "accessibility" too.
Compare it with writing letters to a friend, versus having him over. Or
reading about the eiffel tower on the wikipedia versus seeing the eiffel
tower in 3d and being able to climb it (especially if you IRL are in a
wheelchair) (and still being able to learn about the eiffel tower by reading
the billboards, providing the same information & interactivity as a static
webpage).

> Web 2.0 is what it
> is... a clever use of technologies that make the web much more useful.
> Instead of displaying data, we now have more application like websites
> that not only display, but also manipulate data to be useful for its
> users.

Functionally web 2.0 is exactly the same as web 1.0 its nice to talk to a
server without pressing buttons but you could do that already with java
applets, the only difference now is that its embedded in a webpage using
Ajax so its only the packaging that has changed.

Cheers Eelke

-Reid