[games_access] Fwd: Personas, etc. but what is really needed...

Reid Kimball reid at rbkdesign.com
Tue Jun 5 20:18:19 EDT 2007

Eelke,

I don't see making an accessibility option for colorblind to be
difficult. There are two areas where this can be applied, Game UI and
Game Space. Game UI is of course the UI, like menus and HUD elements.
Game Space includes all the players, NPCs, gameplay objects,
environment and so on. I've usually thought of colorblindness only
being affected by Game UI, but you do bring up a good point about Game
Space elements causing problems.

Here's a couple ideas to help with Game Space color problems. Colors
as we all know are used to convey information, such as red = something
bad and green = something good, most times. What developers need to do
is layer different forms of communicating this information to not only
use color, but also form. Even if a player can't see the difference
between red and green, the shape should make up for that.

Another option is screen wide render changes, it may be possible to
some color analysis as Ben suggests, but if not, why not choose a
"high contrast" mode which changes how the game renders all the
graphics. 3D engines for big budget games usually have a way to render
the screen differently, like a black and white mode or with a blue
tint. There could be a colorblindness mode that renders everything in
a better way.

-Reid