[games_access] Game Accessibility Conference

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:33:26 EDT 2007

Hi,

The idea of a conference focusing on game accessibility is great but
I'm kind of concerned whether we will be able to attract an audience
for it. What is the goal? 'spreading the word' e.g. convincing game
developers of the importance of making games accessible? or or do we
target our fellow researchers and discuss & explore new ways of
making games more accessible and putting accessibility on the roadmap
of developers?

I think it is important to distinguish between these goals.

cheers Eelke

On May 20, 2007, at 12:01 PM, d. michelle hinn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I've mentioned this before but we should probably start
> discussing it for real. The IGDA would like to support our efforts
> in creating a one-day conference on Game Accessibility. Now this
> could be something attached to another conference (like GDC) or on
> it's own as a "summit" at a time where we aren't so frazzled from GDC.
>
> This is one of the things I'll be bringing up at the online
> meetings this week so I'd appreciate ideas for location, dates, how
> wide we cast the net (ie, do we personally court a person from
> every major game company we can to attend), do we want it to be
> small the first year and then cast the net wider the next year?
>
> What are your thoughts? Basically the IGDA now has a group that
> does conference/summit set ups for us so we tell them what we want
> and they deal with the registration, hotel block reservations,
> venue, some advertising, etc. So that's what make it's a very cool
> opportunity!
>
> Michelle

----
Eelke Folmer                                          Assistant
Professor
Department of Computer Science &       Engineering/171
University of Nevada                         Reno, Nevada 89557
Game Quality                   usability|accessibility.eelke.com
----