[games_access] GDC an idea... Platform.

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 5 20:19:26 EST 2007

Thanks Robert,

Well, just addressing the idea of creating a game -- the trouble
is...there are games that are accessible that members of this group
have created. Those are what we show. There are controllers that are
accessible that members of this group have created. Those are what we
show as well. There are games up for competition at this year's (and
the past few years) Independent Games Festival at GDC that are
accessible. Strange Attractors 2 is just one example -- this is a
game that was up for an IGF award a few years ago at GDC that was
accessible from the start and now they are on version 2!

So I guess I wonder about is given all this -- that is, games that
have been created already that are accessible -- is creating another
game going to be the answer? Don't get me wrong -- the more games
there are that are accessible, the more ways we have to get our
message out there. But my point is that I'm not convinced that simply
creating another game is going to be the answer to our problem.

One reality that we have to deal with is audience -- not only do we
need to convince developers, we need to convince a group of people
who are quite possibly not gamers at all (for various reasons:
because they didn't know there were some accessible games or
controllers or they couldn't afford the accessibility solutions or
they just don't really find gaming all that fun) to buy/play the
games. So we have to bring awareness to a potential audience as well.
So the task is more than just gaining the attention of the industry
-- it's gaining the attention of gamers too.

Michelle