[games_access] Games for Health to Invest in Games Accessibility

Ben Sawyer bsawyer at dmill.com
Fri Nov 16 13:23:02 EST 2007

I would not spend money on an office. I think it's better invested
in ever more capable Web services and presence.

If there needs to be a phsyical locus then it should be at a university.

More and more people are running virtual organizations - that's the
high-tech way now we shouldn't be old school with bricks and mortor.

- Ben

On Nov 16, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Robert Florio wrote:

> Some other thoughts I had.

> I'm thinking this could be an opportunity for employment I am not

> sure who

> would run a committee funded by this money. I know it is our sig but

> everybody is scattered everywhere would be a good idea to have an

> actual

> office location where project could be worked on a center location

> for more

> of a business type set up? This might be further in the line if

> more money

> can be raised but I would be interested in sitting in on that

> position to

> lead that project or this group if we needed a center location

> which I think

> would be good.

> I understand that money is very tight most likely the people are

> backing and

> we can find ways to fund it like using my documentary I'd be

> willing to go

> and give speeches across the country showing selling tickets to see

> the

> video and hopefully meet some people for more business

> opportunities to turn

> it into something larger. That's what I have right now to give.

> Again most

> of that would probably go to a personal fund of mine because it is a

> personal project but I'd be willing to give percentage to our

> group. It is

> a place to get funds from not a bad idea to use that idea because any

> opportunity for getting money would be good with a reasonable

> agreement.

> In another way this kind of center location for operating business

> would

> assure that the money have someone constantly on the projects and

> following

> through with that might be what Ben is doing unless someone else

> could be

> doing that? Granted he does a lot and knows a lot more about

> networking

> maybe that's not exactly what I mean. Just trying to figure out if

> this can

> turn into something that supports a larger kind of a company of

> research.

> And I'd love to do it because I'm so close locally, coincidentally

> graduating and looking for a job in my heart is there and my talent

> and

> knowledge is there and be perfect in a position to work on this

> turning it

> into a huge project more of a community company.

> Robert

>>> Subject: [games_access] Games for Health to Invest in Games

>>> Accessibility

>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>> Hi everyone,

>>> I've got some big news. As many of you saw Games for Health is part

>>> of a new round of investment by The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

>>> into games and healthcare. We're extremely excited about this new

>>> development.

>>> As part of our specific grant we have allocated resources

>>> specifically to support the IGDA Accessibility community.

>>> Over the next two years we will directly contribute funds to SIG

>>> activities. The amount is set but I can't reveal it yet as much

>>> as I

>>> want to because I'm actually looking to make it more by finding some

>>> other organizations who will join us with matching funds. Right now

>>> I can tell you this - it's more then $10,000.

>>> The funds will be used to support your activities but there are of

>>> course some simple strings. Basically the funds will be released

>>> once there is a written plan in place that provides for how and what

>>> the funds will be spent on. That plan needs my approval and

>>> subsequently I have to have the approval of the foundation for

>>> all my

>>> work. I don't want it to sound dictatorish -- I'm pretty liberal

>>> for

>>> what they should be used for but my basic goals are as follows:

>>> 1. I'd like to see the community double is size as outlined by some

>>> simple metrics (i.e. number of subscribers to the listserv,

>>> number of

>>> people in the industry you are in regular contact with, number of

>>> talks in front of audiences, etc.)

>>> 2. I'd like to see the community produce some written plans that

>>> outline roadmaps for better accessibility efforts -- especially

>>> research roadmap.

>>> 3. I want to establish a standalone conference on games

>>> accessibility

>>> attached to our Games for Health Conference (so we can combine

>>> logistics and hit on overlapping communities of interest).

>>> 4. I am also specifically interested in identifying and doing

>>> what we

>>> can to nurture research into how accessibility to games improves

>>> people with disabilities mentally, socially, and physically.

>>> Eventually leading to some great empirical and evidence based

>>> research published - to the extent we don't already have this.

>>> Beyond those goals I look to everyone here in the community to

>>> really

>>> drive things. So the restriction is the production of a plan that

>>> seems smartly aimed toward these goals. Within that framework the

>>> funds can support travel subsidies, creating really nice brochures,

>>> improved Web site content and access, etc.

>>> I've already discussed the gist of this with Michelle and I've asked

>>> her to produce with everyones help the plan and present it to me

>>> before the end of the year. The funds are for 2008 and 2009.

>>> Games Accessibility Conference

>>> I am very serious as I've said before in establishing a one-day

>>> conference on games accessibility along side our Games for Health

>>> Conference. We have facilities, hotel blocks, registration systems,

>>> logistical support, massive PR support, already in place for this.

>>> The date to hold this would be May 7, 2008 which is the day before

>>> Games for Health opens. It would be a one day conference with a

>>> single track to start and a demo area. We would also probably

>>> feature 2 sessions on accessibility at Games for Health on Thursday

>>> and Friday. I hope this date works for everyone as much as possible

>>> - I can't really move it. Hopefully it just works as best it can.

>>> In 2009 we hope to have more flexibility for you.

>>> I want the SIG to take on the role of developing the content. My

>>> only stipulation is 25% of the content MUST be focused on talks that

>>> explore how accessibility technologies, research, and efforts can be

>>> applied to health for people with permanent, temporary, or on-

>>> setting

>>> disabilities. The rest of the content can be focused on core needs,

>>> case studies, research, etc. that will improve the accessibility of

>>> games in general for any purpose -- especially entertainment.

>>> Speakers would attend for free. All other registrants would be

>>> charged an amount <$200 to attend. My goal is that the event be

>>> break-even or even profitable within itself. I would share 50% of

>>> the profits from the event back to the SIG by adding it to the grant

>>> funds we have available. The other funds if there is a profit would

>>> be reinvested for planning the following year, etc.

>>> We very much want to make this event happen. The Robert Wood

>>> Johnson

>>> Foundation team we work with has someone on it with deep contacts in

>>> the accessibility community and is going to talk with a variety of

>>> government agencies involved with accessibility to drive them to

>>> support this event. That becomes a doorway to driving them to

>>> support more pervasive accessibility activities.

>>> We will be promoting this event heavily to all our attendees. We

>>> will be filming parts of it, we will make an expo area available to

>>> showcase work, and we will have dedicated PR staff on the event.

>>> The event is to be held in Baltimore, MD which is served by

>>> Southwest

>>> Airlines which makes it pretty inexpensive to get to. We are also

>>> quite proximate to the federal government which is a big plus.

>>> We've

>>> got two hotels blocked out and we're searching for an ultra

>>> inexpensive block as well.

>>> My goal is to have 50-100 people attend the event. My hopes are

>>> 25-50% stay over for the rest of our event that week so yes from a

>>> total transparency standpoint I'm hoping this increases my

>>> conference's core profitability. Win-win.

>>> If there is a good sense we can pull of the conference idea as

>>> planned I want to make it part of our conference announcements in

>>> the

>>> coming weeks. I also will be including games accessibility in our

>>> call for content next week. We expect to then forward those papers

>>> to a committee formed here to accept and mold that content. I will

>>> advise you on content just from my experience of organizing events

>>> but other then the 25% requirement I really leave it to you as the

>>> experts to decide what will be important for people to hear and

>>> learn

>>> from.

>>> BIG NEEDS

>>> So hopefully you're still digesting this all but the reason I'm

>>> writing this all and providing as much information as I can is I

>>> need

>>> the following help - please reply to the list with your thoughts:

>>> 1. I do need general feedback - ask questions, provide comments, I

>>> will do my best to answer them.

>>> 2. I need NAMES of people you think are in a position or at

>>> organizations in a position to possibly decide to match our

>>> funds. I

>>> really want our funds to catalyze others to chip in. There is no

>>> reason this can't eventually snowball to generate over $100,000 or

>>> more in due time. At least that's my hope.

>>> I am already reaching out to Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, IBM and a few

>>> others. The early reception has been ok but until we release this

>>> more publicly I expect things to be slow to develop. If you give me

>>> more names I'll follow up hard.

>>> FUTURE PLANS

>>> The basic outline for this all for me is as follows:

>>> 1. I want to announce the funds and the goals for them before Xmas.

>>> My goal is we have 2 other funders matching 50% or more of the funds

>>> by then so they can be named in the Press Release.

>>> 2. I want to then announce in the press release that the original

>>> funders are challenging anyone else with resources to join this

>>> funding -- as part of this I was thinking it'd be cool to setup an

>>> individual fundraising effort too - let gamers, and individual

>>> developers provide funds to match the larger gifts.

>>> 3. In order to accomplish points 1 & 2 the goal would be to have a

>>> basic plan in place because the core goals of that plan would be

>>> articulated to the public so they can understand what the funds will

>>> hopefully accomplish. Ultimately if we raised enough my hopes

>>> are it

>>> would accomplish funding development of more accessibility

>>> technologies, standards, and SDKs to make it easier for all game

>>> developers to put these features in their games. I also hope it

>>> might fund prototypes or games that are specific for people with

>>> disabilities like some of the audio only games we've seen from the

>>> community thus far.

>>> THANK YOU

>>> I've been following the work of the SIG and all of you here for

>>> sometime. As I've said many times the work here is extremely

>>> relevant to the work I do on serious games, and games for health.

>>> I've been hoping to bring some funds to the table to help and while

>>> it's not as much as I wanted if I can parlay it with your help

>>> into a

>>> large enough amount it hopefully can help be the fuel for the spark

>>> you've more then created.

>>> Thank you all,

>>> Ben