[games_access] GDC...The Proposal Post Mortem

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 2 14:11:30 EDT 2007

Those are the ones I mentioned were not on the wiki yet because I was
working solo in Word. They are now finished proposals. I'll put their
info up soon. Two proposals we had planned for didn't get in because
we hit the deadline and the proposals were not done. Those have been
moved to another part of the page. One was an additional Audio talk I
pulled myself because I couldn't write it in time and one was slated
for the Business Track but didn't conform to the GDC guidelines,
would have been a hugely tough sale, and Reid asked me to pull it.

As for the pass, we'll need to wait and see at this point. I can't
guarantee a pass for even myself. I am going to try like hell to get
as many of us there as possible -- as I said, now I enter the
lobbying phase where these things get sorted out. The first passes
will go to the proposal writers and after that it will be as many
people as we can get into an accepted talk. As I said...this may
prove to be our toughest year yet and there are no guarantees for
anything.

Things are no longer how they used to be...but I guess that's the
general truth for everything in the universe. So we adapt and keep
moving forward as we keep trying to illicit change in this "kill or
be killed" industry. I wish that we could count on the same
consideration as we've had in the past but we can't. This is where
the tough part of the fight comes in...the rest of the days of the
year when we lobby, when we write, when we toil away not really
knowing if there's a payoff in the end or if the work itself is the
payoff.

Ok...wow. I think I swallowed a philosopher or something because
these emails are getting dramatic. :D

Michelle