[games_access] GDC 2008

Reid Kimball reid at rbkdesign.com
Sun Sep 16 15:54:37 EDT 2007

I'd like to do a presentation on closed captioning in games, but I'm
not sure what you mean by some presentations are part of the SIG while
others are not? Is the SIG only doing presentations that are part of
the IGDA track? For example, if I wanted to put my presentation in the
Production track (as an example) then my presentation will be
independent of the SIG?

Which brings me to my next question. What audience should I present
closed captioning to? Michelle and Richard had a great response from
the audio designers, which is wonderful. What's unfortunate about
closed captioning is that, while it has been supported by audio
designers, it doesn't present them with anything new. It's not a new
idea in game design concepts like audio games for the blind are. It's
really about conveying audio in a different medium (text or gfx). Is
that message useful for audio designers? I'm leaning towards not so
much. Because, whether or not closed captions are used in a game,
doesn't affect the audio design of a game. Closed captions affect
production budgets in localization and UI graphic designs the most I
think. Last, but not least, they do directly affect the enjoyment of
the game from a deaf player's experience. Not sure what track
"enhancing player experience" would fall into, probably game design.

Should I give the talk to UI designers? A UI designer at LucasArts
loves the idea of closed captioning in games and Marc Laidlaw, writer
of Valve Software has said he really likes the aesthetic of seeing
text match the chaos of the gameplay on screen.

Any opinions on who my audience should be?

-Reid