[games_access] GDC 2008

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 16 16:22:47 EDT 2007

Great question -- So the SIG proposals aren't all IGDA track -- one
will be game audio for visually impaired gamers (one similar to what
Richard and I did at AGDC), another in the game education/curriculum
track, etc. With the exception of maybe the GA = Games for All track,
we will only plan for the IGDA track if proposals get bumped (we
might have to change them for IGDA but we'll deal with that as things
play out). That's the way things have changed over the years -- we
used to just submit to the IGDA track (GDC 2005/6) but starting last
year most of our stuff has had to go (at least first) through other
tracks.

The main point by submitting it all at once is to ensure that we have
enough passes (for example, Eelke who might not have a proposal or
see a fit in this year's SIG proposals but would benefit from a less
restrictive pass than an Expo pass). So if I were the one to turn in
your proposal, I would put my name on it as well and then substitute
it later or remove it if there's no need for an extra pass. Another
(perhaps better) idea is to have someone intro you and someone (or
the same person) assist in the Q & A at the end. So I'm not saying my
name is super valuable but there is consistency because I've been
involved with so many past presentations over the years. Also adding
in the "SIG sponsorship" does seem to help as well. My main objective
is for us to get as many GA talks integrated into the GDC program as
possible, while maintaining the "ownership" of the session to the
person who is the main content presenter (ie, for this session, it
would be you). I want to help in any way that I can.

Others may just want to turn in a proposal that doesn't mention the
SIG at all in its description because it's not exactly related to GA,
the SIG, or it's part of another large project. That's not to say we
wouldn't include it in our promo materials if the person wanted us to
-- just that it might be that the session might already be related to
another established group and it makes sense to take it down that
path.

I can see where you could fit into either production or game design.
I wouldn't go for audio because when I mentioned [cc] in one slide it
was the only case of trying to convince people who are already on
board with the idea that we had in the presentation. There isn't
(yet) a usability track, which is where I think your idea would fit
in as well. Have you tried to get this presentation in for other
GDCs? If so, which track(s)? I'm thinking that if it was design that
you might try making the case to the production people and emphasize
the localization aspects in your description.

Michelle