[games_access] Blizzard, WoW, and Accessibility Concerns

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Thu Feb 14 03:36:55 EST 2008

Hi,

yes the rich and famous comment was just me dreaming :)

But I don't quite follow about the rest. I'm certain Blizzard and
others are well aware of the importance of fun? And having a
consortium is not stopping us from involving end-users. When I made
the comparison with W3C I didn't intend us to copy their organisation,
just referred to it as a concept for industry collaboration.

Regarding accessibility and film theatres: I agree but games are of
course different; you have "serious games" but not "serious film
theatres", or maybe I have missed something :) - the term "serious" is
a problem of it's own though but we have to live with it now :)
- as we have discussed many times, non-entertainment applications of
games demands accessibility

It's great that CEOs listen to the end-users this way and respond, but
still it's better if it is done pro-actively, so the end users don't
have to tell them, I think we all can agree on that.

-So why not take the chance now that we have the attention from CEOs
and COOs to discuss a _proactive_ way to make games as accessible as
possible, through industry collaboration? Call it something different
than a consortium if you like, but a bi-lateral, formal organization
that can put some efforts and dollars into game access is a good thing
in my mind.

And further, it is not an option between the SIG and a consortium, I
think both are needed. And as the consortium members need expertise to
develop accessibility in their games, yes the rich and famous, or at
least getting paid a little for all our work, could become more than a
dream.

/Thomas