[games_access] I need copies of any game Accessibility Syllabus

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Sat Mar 1 14:45:52 EST 2008

Tom,

You've come to the right place for game accessibilty information.

Michell and other SIG members just returned from the Game Developers
Conference, where they had the attention of a lot of developers, including
some major CEOs. They also got personal demos of some of the latest AT
gaming stuff.

So just about any question you could ask about AT and games you can get the
latest and best answers from these folks.

As far as your "education game accessibility web site" goes: with the help
of those same folks here, my company, 7-128 Software, just released the
Accessible Learning through Entertainment and Recreation Tools (ALERT)
project. I.e., accessible games in education and rehabilitation.

It's a bunch of free information on:

- Where to get accessible games that are suitable for education and rehab

- What features to look for in those games, with examples

- How to apply those games, from a former college instructor who now
develops games

- Who to go to for help with accessible games for education

It's at <http://www.7128.com/>www.7128.com.

ALERT has no specific course syllabus for accessible games, though the How
To articles might help you.

I'd suggest you contact Michelle Hinn, Chairperson of this SIG, who is more
than a little knowledgeable on that particular subject. You might also ask
another SIG member, Eelke Folmer, who is an Assistant Professor of Computer
Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno, and specializes
in accessible games.

Also, if you don't already know about it, check out Indiana University's
ATC site:
<http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadapts/>http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadapts/ It's
not specifically about gaming, but it's a well laid-out site for AT for
students.

You'll probably have to develop any syllabus yourself, unless Michelle or
Eelke has one to give you. But all the pieces you could want are right here.

Any specific questions, ask away.

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software