[games_access] question game definition

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Fri Apr 17 12:11:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

To make it easier you could take the view that "games are a transmedial
phenomenom" (Jesper Juuls) - meaning games can come in all sort of forms,
materials, shapes, sizes, media, etc. There's an incredible amount of
literature discussing definitions of 'game' out there, many of them all
useful from their own perspective. I find the definition of exergaming on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exergaming pretty useful* exept for the "video
game" part, which excludes games/consoles/toys such as Swinxs
(http://www.swinxs.com/). I would go for something like:

"Exergaming (a portmanteau of "exercise" and "gaming") is a term used for
GAMES that also provide PHYSICAL exercise." (also emphasize physical)

Hopes this answers your 'screen'-question. What I find much more
interesting, concerning a definition, is whether or not exergames are
specifically designed games to stimulate exercise. Or is this just a
category and do exergames include any game in which physical exercise is
involved?

Greets,

Richard

* Whether or not it is 100% "accurate" is often a pretty pointless
discussion - a definition is usually only judged by its usefulness.