[games_access] graduate course in game interaction design

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:05:17 EST 2009

Hi Reid,

Thanks for your feedback. This graduate class also has significant
research component, so I'd like them to explore and develop new
interfaces rather than port an existing accessible interface. The
games you mention all have third person interaction mechanisms and
could be made accessible to one switch users using the mechanism we
developed for Gordon's trigger finger or the one switch interface we
developed for second life. To make them accessible to visually
impaired they could use the techniques used in AudioQuake or
Terrarformers. I think for the genre of first person shooters there
are ample accessible examples already and I see more benefit in
creating examples for other game genres that do not have such
examples. A result of such research may be new techniques that could
benefit other game genres as well.

I understand your concerns though. Maybe you could submit a proposal
to google's summer of code to have a number of popular games be made
accessible?

Cheers Eelke

Cheers Eelke