[games_access] Accessible Game Design Initiative, in planning phase now.

Reid Kimball reid at rbkdesign.com
Sat Jan 24 16:37:56 EST 2009

Greetings everyone,

I have joined the brand new IGDA Game Design SIG (aka GDSIG). They are
just like our SIG, but focus on game design. It just started in
December, new members are joining frequently. We're currently
discussing initiatives that members within the GDSIG can collaborate
on to further our profession as game designers. The initiative is in
the planning phase now, if enough members join, we'll be able to
produce something of value.

Because of my experience as a game designer and work within the Game
Accessibility SIG, I have proposed a game design initiative called
"Accessible Game Design". I wrote a draft of the initiative proposal
doc below. Please read through it, let me know your thoughts. Because
of the overlap between the two SIGs, it makes sense to collaborate in
some form. I don't know if we can do this officially, but at the very
least, people can join the GDSIG and then participate in the below
initiative.

Accessible Game Design Initiative

Intended Audience
Game designers who want to make their games as accessible as possible
to reduce frustration in players and sales because more people can
play.

The true beneficiaries of this initiative will be players that have
difficulty reaching content in games because they are stuck due to an
inability to achieve and perform in game actions.

Our Approach
Research past, present and future implementations of the following:

Player Tailoring
·	Players modify game variables to tweak the difficulty, essentially,
becoming the game designer. Also include customizable controls.

Dynamic Difficulty
·	The game uses player statistics to modify game variables that make
sure difficulty of the game is never too easy or too hard for the
player, always in perfect balance, even as player become more skilled
at playing the game.

Subliminal Hint System
·	The game uses player statistics to determine when players are stuck
on puzzles and offer what are called "subliminal hints" in an effort
to help players create intuitive leaps of logic (logical insights) and
solve the puzzle on their own.

VCR/Chapter Navigation Schemes
·	Players use a VCR or Chapter based system that allows them to
navigate through the entire game non-linearly, skipping to the very
end if they desire or rewinding to 5 minutes previous.

Anything else you want to add, let me know.

-Reid