[games_access] GAMES FOR HEALTH CONFERENCE 2009 - Call For Content (was: Re: name for project, other SIGs)

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Thu Jan 29 14:58:04 EST 2009

Hey,

Speak of the devil...

While checking my other lists, Ben Sawyers email about this years Games for
Health Conference came through (copy-pasted below). Just to be sure: are
there any plans for that already? I checked
http://www.igda.org/wiki/GASIG_Projects but it's not (yet) in there.

Greets,

Richard

*copy paste*

The official announcement of our Games for Health 2009 conference is
very soon but the call for content information is now done and I'm
providing it here ahead of posting it more widely:

GAMES FOR HEALTH CONFERENCE 2009
Hyatt Harborside, Boston, MA
June 11-12, 2009
Pre-conference events on June 10.

CALL FOR CONTENT
The 2009 Games for Health conference is set to be held on June 11-12
in Boston, MA.  Pre-conference events on accessibility and virtual
worlds will take part on June 10.

Our call for content is now officially open.  Please send all
submissions to content at gamesforhealth.org by Jan 27, 2008.  All
speakers receive free entry to the conference and all related events.

Registration and official announcement of the conference will open on
January 5, 2009.

TOPICS & CONTENT REQUESTED
The Games for Health Conference 2009 will feature over 40 sessions of
content.  Content planned includes panels, poster sessions, general
lectures, case studies of projects and games, technology
presentations, and how-to sessions.  We seek a large variety of
content across a range of topics and game types and health areas
including:

Effectiveness of Health Games
Exergaming & Rehabitainment
Health Behavior Change
Disease Management & Education
Public Health Messaging & Patient Communication
Cognitive Health
Training & Management Sims & Occupational Recruitment
Accessibility for Games & Disability focused Games
Epidemiology
Pain Distraction & Stress Relief
CyberPsychology
Entertainment Games About Health or Substantial Health Related Play
Health Effects of Games
First Responders & Mass Casualty Training
Medical Informatics & Health Data Collection
Virtual Patients
Interface & Visualization Applications
Personal Health & Electronic Medical Record Systems

For more information please see topic summaries below

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Please send your submission as a plain text email, Microsoft Word
document, or Adobe PDF file.  Email them to content at
gamesforhealth.org.

If you are suggesting a specific session style please label it as
follows: Panel, Poster, Case Study/Demo, Lecture, How-To, etc.

Include 2-3 Paragraph Bios for speaker(s) associated with session
submission

Please list the minimum time required by your session.  Minimal time
for presentations is 20 minutes.  Maximum time is 90 minutes (Panels
or How-To sessions only!)

For all submissions referencing software please provide an explanation
of the software's status (i.e. alpha, beta, completed, published,
prototype, etc.) and 1-3 screenshots with your submission.  Links to
video demonstrations or downloadable demos may be sent in addition to
your screenshots.

All sessions must relate to the use of computer games / videogames or
their related technologies or other industry resources.  If your
submission doesn't make this link obvious please provide an
explanation under the heading "Game Connection" in your submission.

If your submission requires Internet access, runs on a mobile
platform, or requires other special equipment please let us know of
these requirements so we may plan accordingly for such needs during
your presentation.

Please also ensure we have FULL CONTACT INFORMATION including mailing
address, organization affiliation, title, office and mobile phones,
and at least one alternative email address.

SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES
Games for Health offers the following special opportunities for
content submissions:

Virtual Worlds & Health
Games for Health will feature a full day of content focused on the use
of virtual world systems and health.  Virtual worlds combine social
systems with game-based interfaces and graphics to create entirely new
synthetic spaces to train, practice, and visualize. Such systems hold
great promise to health and healthcare through layering on of game-
play or enabling pure simulation or new forms of social interaction.

Our Virtual Worlds & Health Day is accepting talks, case studies,
poster sessions, and panels that cover the use of virtual world
technologies and applications that support new ideas in health and
healthcare.

Games Accessibility
Building upon last year's innaugural event Games for Health will also
feature a pre-conference day-long event focuse

Peer Review Status Opportunities
Games for Health will be implementing a professional peer review
process for the 2009 conference.  This is limited to research oriented
content wishing to submit for peer review.  Please label your content
submission "FOR PEER REVIEW".

Up to six-eight submissions will be selected by a peer review
committee and designated with peer review status if accepted.
Accepted papers will be designated for lecture or poster
presentation.  Papers which do not achieve peer review acceptance may
be considered for other portions of the conference but will not be
given peer reviewed status.

TOPIC AREA SUMMARIES
Exergaming & Rehabitainment : Use of game software and/or associated
hardware to motivate, track, and induce various forms of physical
activity (aerobic, physical therapy, anti-atrophy, etc.) that provides
specific health outcomes.

Health Game Effectiveness : With the growing use of games in health,
wellness, fitness now happening we're especially interested in
sessions that share results on how effective (or not) such games are
and what factors (in-game or out) encourage or discourage possible
effectiveness.

Health Behavior Change : Use of game software and related resources to
effect and support individuals in changing behaviors that put them at-
risk for poor health

Disease Management & Education : Use of game software and related
resources to educate people about diseases and especially to assist
those with diseases and chronic illnesses to live well with those
ailments.

Public Health Messaging & Patient Communication : Use of game software
and related resources to communicate to the public about health
concerns, policies, or health issues.

Cognitive Health : Exploring the theories and practices behind using
games to improve various aspects of cognitive health via game-based
conditioning/stimulation including but not limited to various forms of
memory, equilibrium, and eye-hand coordination.

Training & Managment Sims & Occupational Recruitment : Training
skills, management practices using games.  Using games to visualize
health-related jobs, practices, and systems in an attempt to recruit
talent to health-based occupations.

Accessibility for Games & Disability focused Games : Making all games
accessible or providing games specific to disabilities in order to
people with lifelong or temporary disabilities enhanced quality of
life, specific therapy, new social capabilities, or disability related
training.

Epidemiology : The use of games in all aspects of epidemiology
including training, visualization, behavior research, modeling, and
more.

Pain Distraction & Stress Relief : Games or game-like environments
provided to offer distraction from chronic, or temporary pain, medical
procedures or as means to provide relief from stress.

CyberPsychology : Games or game-based environments that provide
support for psychological assessment, treatment, or education.

Entertainment Games About Health or Substantial Health Related Play :
Games that offer interesting media studios, design patterns, or other
insight into how health is or could be portrayed in games.

Health Effects of Games : Studies that show general health related
outcomes from playing games in general (e.g. repetitive stress
injuries, online game addiction, motion sickness, etc.)

First Aide, First Responders & Mass Casualty Training : Games that
specialize in training citizens and professional first responders in
all forms of pre-hospital care and aide including for incidents
involving mass casualties.

Medical Informatics & Health Data Collection : The use of games, game
technologies, and design patterns to aide in the collection,
visualization, and analysis of health and medical information.

Virtual Patients : Use of game-based technologies and design
techniques to create believable physiological and psychological
synthetic humans for use in training and other relevant situations.

Interface & Visualization Applications : Applying game design
techniques and game technologies to problems in health and healthcare
involving application interface design and general issues of
visualization.

Personal Health & Electronic Medical Record Systems : Using interface
ideas and avatar technologies from games along with other design and
engineering resources to foster innovation in personal health and
electronic medical record systems

ABOUT GAMES FOR HEALTH
Games for Health, the leading professional community in the field of
health games, unites the best minds in health care and game
development to advance game technologies that improve people's health
and the delivery of health care. Through their national and regional
events, as well as extensive online resources, Games for Health brings
together researchers, medical professionals and game developers to
share best practices and forge new, game-based solutions to pressing
health and healthcare challenges.

Games for Health is funded primarily by the Robert Wood Johnson
Foundation's Pioneer Portfolio, which supports innovative ideas that
may lead to significant breakthroughs in the future of health and
health care. It was founded in 2004 by the Serious Games Initiative, a
project of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
dedicated to applying innovative games and game technologies to a
range of public and private policy, leadership and management issues.

*copy paste end*