[games_access] disability or limitation?

Matthias Troup foreversublime at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:10:51 EST 2009

Agreed, Steve.  I'd like to see more emphasis put on self-esteem (and equally the perception of others... the selfless-esteem), and less emphasis on the label (as long as it's not completely inappropriate).

On the other hand, we use the term "disabled" universally.  So, a person without a leg is "disabled" just as a person with minimal brain function is "disabled".  Why don't we just say "the legless man/woman"?  We don't say "John is a diseased person" and lump all diseases together (which can personal and uncomfortable topic in and of itself).  We say "John has cancer/AIDS/arthritis" etc.  What are the social limitations imposed by this concept?  Does it offer a silver lining?

I suppose I don't recall calling blind or deaf people "disabled" in social settings.  They are a "blind" or "deaf" person.  When it comes to one of the senses there's less of a "perception" attached - at least to me. I had a friend that lost her sense of smell due to a blow to the back of the head, but I never called her "disabled".  To me (what do I know?), my perception of the term "disabled" has historically been used in cases of mobility-disability.  As we surround ourselves with virtual worlds (phones, money, internet, games) people who did not have physical disabilities are now being lumped together in the "disabled" mold as they have a hard time navigating through the virtual worlds.  That's just my view that I conjured up a minute ago, and I'm probably wrong... because I'm uninformed and young.  If I'm at least partially on the right track, I wonder if new groups of people will be lumped in the "disabled" mold before more are extracted from it.

I think the "light" analogy is completely off base in Javier's message - there's something called the sun, and genetically... we're largely meant to "see" to some extent.  Although it's a great feat of human society to think we can classify "disabilities" as a social disfunction it's truly out of touch with nature.  No matter how far we progress socially nature can take that all away, and our perception of equality and disability in terms of human society must always be marked with an asterisk.  Humans have not severed themselves from nature, no matter how hard they try.  That much I'm sure of.  Ha.