[games_access] How to teach movements, motion control

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Wed Aug 18 15:50:58 EDT 2010

Hello,

there was a very interesting presentation at the GDC-Europe:

Game Design: Chiling Tales from RED STEEL2:  How Motion Control

Will/Won't Change the Future (Jason VandenBerghe/Ubisoft)

This is what I took with me (added with my own thoughts and information)

One problem with Motion Control is to learn how to move. In some

Motion Controlled Games there are only certain predefined "movements".

Example: Wii Fit is difficult to understand. Maybe it is not the gameplay
that is difficult,

It is the learning process how to move and when to do what and how.

The idea in the presentation was to teach how to move. Like they already do

in dance lessons and martial arts lessons.

# Break the steps down and #show it step by step with a in game video

I do recommend to use as much as steps as necessary for each movements.

In the Zumba Fitness DVD (not the game) they use for all moves 3 steps, but
this

Is not very good. Some movements need more steps, some less.

I also do recommend to do it slow or maybe give a choice for slow motion. In
the Zumba

Fitness DVD the introduction is too fast.

The D-Player (a player for nice dance clips) has also nice ideas:

The whole dance is divided into steps. You can select the steps you want to
train. You can

also select the speed and repeat a step. Also I like it is possible to see
it from all directions.

(I am wondering why there is not yet a dance game using this great features)

# Repeat

The gamer has to repeat it, until he get bored. Because then, he has learnt
it.

# no stress

The player can try the movement in a stress free environment. E.g. instead
of an enemie

there is a dummy to train slashes.

Maybe with this we will have better Tutorials and player understand the
control much easier and faster.

Best regards,

Sandra