[games_access] UN Convention -> national rights?

Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 30 09:58:20 EDT 2010

Hey Sandra,

We do have some laws but the trouble is that the ones we have are more focused on equal opportunity in the workplace for the disabled and such. Given that years ago a law passed requiring "open captioning" (the captions are either on the back of a movie theatre chair or on a hand held device) for people who are deaf that has MAYBE only happened in a handful of movie theaters in the country, I don't have much hope that a law requiring videogame accessibility would ever happen. As I said, the movie industry has to provide the open captioning YET no on enforces it...

And our political climate right now is getting very hostile towards videogames, especially as our mid-term elections are in just a few days -- the more conservative that get into office tend to see videogames ONLY as evil -- they would rather them not exist at all for anyone, not just the disabled.

Michelle