[games_access] UN Convention -> national rights?

Tara Tefertiller tara.tefertiller at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 11:29:47 EDT 2010

Sandra,

I agree with what Michelle said. The political climate is very
hostile towards video games here- and video games have already been a
hot issue because California introduced new laws involving
prohibiting selling violent video games to minors. It's a huge deal
because the companies are claiming there is a violation of their
freedom of speech. I think the last thing we should be doing state
side is push for an accessibility law. As much as I would love for
there to be one I really feel it would somehow be misconstrued and
get a lot of political backlash, or open the door for legislation we
don't want passed to be passed in regards to video games.

One of the big questions that an accessibility law would have to
address is are video games a public activity or a private activity?
And what are the consequences of being considered in each domain- not
just for accessibility issues, but for the gaming industry as a whole.

And I definitely would not talk to any one about what type of laws
should be imposed with out first talking to a legal expert- most
likely an experience lawyer.

-Tara