[games_access] Demo Stations for Training Event

Brannon Zahand brannonz at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 12 17:27:35 EST 2011

Hey all,

Sorry for being so quiet for so long. I've been busy at work dealing with our Kinect launch, a huge reorganization and a new role.

Anyway, awhile back I asked for information on various games that demonstrated accessibility scenarios. I had been asked to help put together a number of demo stations for an internal MS event we are holding for our game platform developers. Based on your feedback, I came up with the following stations and thought I'd share the results (in case anyone else plans on doing something similar in the future).

One note: The last station has some custom software written for me that causes onscreen and audio distractions on a PC. Unfortunately, I am prevented from sharing it with the group at this time. However, anyone with a basic programming knowledge can whip something up like it in a few minutes... it's pretty simple and straight forward.

Thanks again,
Brannon

Station Type

Software

Hardware

Mobility Impairment (One Button Gaming)

Shoot1Up (Downloaded from Xbox 360 LIVE Indie Games)

Xbox 360, TV, One Switch Adapter

Mobility Impairment (Physical Restriction w/ Motion Gaming)

Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360 Disc)

Xbox 360, Kinect, TV, Wheelchair, Cast/Sling

Visual Impairment (Complete Blindness)

Terraformers (Downloaded from http://www.terraformers.nu/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=6&Itemid=28)

PC, Monitor, USB Surround Sound Headphones

Visual Impairment (Low Vision)

Halo Reach (Xbox 360 Disc)

Xbox 360, Large HDTV, Pinhole Vision Glasses

Visual Impairment (Color Blind)

AstroPop (Downloaded from http://games.yahoo.com/game/astropop), Digital Lens Software (Downloaded from http://ilabs.microsoft.com/Project/Pages/Project.aspx?ProjectId=5)

PC, Monitor

Hearing Impairment (Deafness)

You're In The Movies (Xbox 360 Disc)

Xbox 360, HDTV

Mobility Impairment (Physical Restriction w/ Motion Gaming)

Kinect Sports (Xbox 360 Disc)

Xbox 360, Kinect, TV, Wheelchair, Cast/Sling

Demo of Common PC Accessibility Tools in Windows 7

Windows 7

PC, Monitor, Vision Glasses

Speech Impairment (Speech Impediments)

Tom Clancy's End War (Xbox 360 Disc), MorphVOX Software  (Downloaded from http://www.screamingbee.com/product/MorphVOX.aspx)

PC, Xbox 360 , Monitors, Audio Patch Cables, Headset

Cognitive Impairment (Inability to Focus)

Bookworm (Downloaded from http://zone.msn.com/en/root/deluxe.htm?code=110119950&RefID=25), Access Distract (Distraction Program Written by Brannon)

PC, Monitor