[games_access] Our First Weekly Topic

Tara Tefertiller ttefertiller at igda-gasig.org
Tue Jan 25 21:24:15 EST 2011

Hey everyone,

Right now we have a great discussion happening in the forums, but one of the
most active voices in the thread isn't even a member or our SIG! Let's step
up and become active!

We also have 3 new topics in addition to the topic of the week - so please,
get involved! <http://gameaccesssig.forumotion.com/>

The goal is to move the general discussion off the listserv and *onto the
forums. *I've done some talking to non SIG members who seemed interested in
accessibility but were reluctant to join the SIG. When I asked why, they
said they didn't want their inbox flooded with short emails about
accessibility. They wouldn't mind one weekly emails about hot topics in the
forums or using the listserv as news, but they were not interested in any
community that had it's main source of information be via email. A great
model for how we could work would be something like the "Women in Games "
SIG. They have a weekly update email, but general discussion is for the
forums.  From my observations, non members wanted to be able to take in
information on their own time, at their own pace. That's why our new site
and forums are going to become so important!

They also mentioned that having a place like the forums could give
developers a place to browse through our discussions and pick our brain.

I've also been talking with an associate producer at a small studio here in
Orlando who is also an expert in community management, and she was one of
the people who commented on how beneficial a forum could be to us, and is
going to help me shape  it in the coming months. We're going to have some
awesome pieces coming up that will only be available in the forums by guest
writers and content experts.

I hope you'll come check them out.

Thanks,

--