[games_access] Gluddle

Richard (AudioGames.net) richard at audiogames.net
Wed Feb 15 10:26:27 EST 2012

Hi guys,

Something slightly game-accessibility related:

Today Sander and I released Gluddle, an iPad/iPhone game:
http://www.gluddle.com and http://get.gluddle.com . During the design,
we've always taken accessibility into account during each of our design
decisions. The current version that is online now has no noticable
accessibility options, but accessibility considerations that are present
are:

- no color communication: most game objects are spheres and these
distinguish themselves not only via color/skins, but also behaviour
(animation and sound).
- sound alternatives: every important sound event has a visual
alternative, in the form of particle effects or animations.
Unfortunately not all sounds, see below.
- simple game play: sounds simple, but we really wanted to make an
original game with accessible gameplay mechanics. The game revolves
around bouncing balls that have to hit a target. What could be simpler?
The only difficulty is that you have to learn to freeze your balls
(called Gluddle) in mid-air, which is somewhat counter-intuitive.

The next couple of things we want to implement are:

- action captions for sound effects: this is so incredibly easy that I
wish it was already in there. The only reason it isn't has to do with
the platform (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad) capabilities - it taking too
much memory during gameplay. So with the rise of new platforms we can
add these.
- one touch controlling / alternative controlling: actually, Gluddle was
programmed with 5 controlling schemes in mind. These are still present
in the code. However, we had too little time to implement these further.
We hope to add these as soon as possible.
- speed of play: add setting for the speed of play.
- auto freeze: add option that Gluddle automatically freeze when they
hit the side of the screen.

And here's some propaganda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfCT-0jcUc&hd=1
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfCT-0jcUc&hd=1>

And if you like the game, please tell your friends with iDevices :-)

Greets,

Richard & Sander

http://creativehero.es