[Techtoolslist] James has been busy!

Phillip Eaton inbox at phillipeaton.com
Wed Sep 14 04:54:23 EDT 2005

A checksum is a simple addition of all the bytes with the top bits chopped off to
give you a 4 digit hex number e.g. EA46

A signature starts with a seed (e.g. 0000) and each byte is sort of xor'd and
shifted into the seed, to give you a result.

A checksum will miss double errors in different bytes, where they cancel each
other out, whearas a signature (depending on the xor function used to create it)
can be statistically proven to spot certain patterns of errors.

If a signature is right, you're virtually guaranteed the ROM is OK. Checksums are
a bit dodgy by comparion.

Phil

On Wed Sep 14 9:38 , 'Matt Rossiter' <matt at verio.net> sent:

>By the way, can someone explain the difference between a fluke signature and

>a checksum? Sometimes my fluke reports a bad rom signature, but that

>doesn't necessarily mean the rom is bad does it?

>Matt

>>> the