[Techtoolslist] Computer systems

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Mar 17 19:00:31 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020, 3:45 PM Kevin Moore <talon.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well it finally happened, my old WinXp machine passed away. I used it for
> my 9010a and older eprom burners.
>
> Do you guys still build old Dos boxes to run this hardware that needs old
> DB9 DB25 serial i/o etc.
>
> Or are you building some fancy new systems?

I run Windows7 32bit on my laptop together with an FTDI USB to serial
adapter.  Works fine talking to a 9010a and 29b upto 9600bps   I've not
been able to get the FTDI adapter to work with DosBox on Windows x86_64 and
you need DosBox if you want to run FIDE on x86_64 as the underlying Fluke
binaries it relies on require native 32bit.  If you're doing native serial
transfers using putty etc, its a non-issue.

I couldn't get the Prolific USB serial adapters to work period, stick to
FTDI based chipsets.

Good luck.