[Techtoolslist] Scope question - Tektronix 2230 & XY - resolved!

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Mon Mar 30 19:27:10 EDT 2020

On 2020/03/28 5:02 p.m., John Robertson via Techtoolslist wrote:
> Anyone have a 2230 and can run a quick test for me?
>
> My unit seems to work just fine except in XY mode. I can adjust the CH2 position normally up/down, however CH1 Position control is reversed for XY and only does a small range just to the right of center.
>
> In normal mode the CH1 Position adjust works as expected.
>
> Pretty sure that result is wrong but the schematics I have are not so clear, even though they are from the Tek download files area, and hard to follow as a result.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John :-#)#
> John’s Jukes Ltd.
> www.flippers.com

So, the problem is, there was no problem! Where most 'scopes use Ch1 for
the left/right, the 2230 uses the Horizontal pot for doing that
adjustment. I just wasted about 4 hours printing off 11x17 pages of the
schematics, then recreating the larger fold-out pages and tracing the
signal paths...to the Horizontal pot.

And buried slightly Pg 3-6 in the Operators manual it says:

*In NON STORE X-Y mode, the CH 2 POSITION control vertically positions
the display, the horizontal POSITION control positions the display
horizontally, and the CH 1 POSITION control is not active. In STORE
mode, both the CH 1 POSITION control and the Horizontal POSITION control
affect the horizontal position of the displayed waveform.*

Sigh.

Time to print off that manual I guess.

Perhaps someone else will benefit from my idiocy...

John :-#)#