[games_access] More from Barrie on One Switch/Button

D. Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 10 18:16:16 EST 2009

Yep -- it's on Barrie's site and is at http://
switchgaming.blogspot.com/2009/12/gamma-iv-one-switch-help.html

Note: These are NOT the Gamma IV official rules -- these are a way to
help developers who choose to make their games more accessible do so.
There is NO requirement that any of the contestants follow any rules
other than the ones on the Gamma IV website. We are hoping that they
will create an additional award for "most accessible" but that may
happen post-GDC.

They have been kind enough to support our inquiries about what makes
a one button/switch game exactly that -- a one button/switch game but
there are no requirements to, for example, include features that slow
down the game, etc. Given their purpose -- creating new and
innovative games that require one button/switch -- it may or may not
be the case that the winning game be accessible to all one switch/
button gamers. We're hoping it is...but, again, it's not our
competition. We're just joining in and we're happy that they are
doing what they can to help the cause! We kind of sprung this on them
given that we didn't know what they were going to announce before
they announced what the theme was! :)

Michelle